The weekly Torah readings (Parashat Ha'Shavua) including summaries and additional details.
Regular Shabbat Readings
* Note: On Jewish holidays, special readings often interrupt the regular cycle.
- Chayei Sarah (חיי שרה | Sarah's life)
- Torah: Genesis 23:1-25:18
- Haftarah: 1 Kings 1:1-31
- Gospel: Matthew 2:1-23
The fifth reading from the book of Genesis is named Chayei Sarah (חיי שרה). It means "Sarah lived," because the narrative begins with the words "Now Sarah lived one hundred and twenty-seven years" (Genesis 23:1). This portion of the Torah is filled with romance and sorrow. It tells the story of how Abraham mourned his wife after her passing, and how he procured a wife for his son Isaac. At the end of this portion, Abraham is laid to rest beside his beloved wife.
- Genesis 23:1 | Sarah's Death and Burial
- Genesis 24:1 | The Marriage of Isaac and Rebekah
- Genesis 25:1 | Abraham Marries Keturah
- Genesis 25:7 | The Death of Abraham
- Genesis 25:12 | Ishmael's Descendants
- 1Ki 1:1 | The Struggle for the Succession
- 1Ki 1:28 | The Accession of Solomon
Get the Email Newsletter
Get inspirational teachings on the Torah Portions delivered to your inbox free every week. Insightful commentary from Genesis to Deuteronomy!SIGN UP TODAY
Core community content: Sign in to read, or sign up for a free Core community account »