The weekly Torah readings (Parashat Ha'Shavua) including summaries and additional details.
Regular Shabbat Readings
* Note: On Jewish holidays, special readings often interrupt the regular cycle.
- Toldot (תולדות | Family history)
- Torah: Genesis 25:19-28:9
- Haftarah: Malachi 1:1-2:7
- Gospel: Luke 3:1-18
The sixth reading from the book of Genesis is named Toldot (תולדות), which means "generations." It is so named because the Torah portion begins with the words "Now these are the records of the generations of Isaac" (Genesis 25:19). Toldot tells us the story of the birth of Jacob and Esau and their struggle for the birthright and blessing of their father, Isaac. We also learn about Isaac's trials and difficulties in the land of Canaan. The portion concludes with Jacob's deception of Isaac in order to procure the family blessing.
- Genesis 25:19 | The Birth and Youth of Esau and Jacob
- Genesis 25:29 | Esau Sells His Birthright
- Genesis 26:1 | Isaac and Abimelech
- Genesis 26:34 | Esau's Hittite Wives
- Genesis 27:1 | Isaac Blesses Jacob
- Genesis 27:30 | Esau's Lost Blessing
- Genesis 27:41 | Jacob Escapes Esau's Fury
- Genesis 28:6 | Esau Marries Ishmael's Daughter
- Mal 1:1 | Introduction
- Mal 1:2 | Israel Preferred to Edom
- Mal 1:6 | Corruption of the Priesthood
Get the Email Newsletter
Get inspirational teachings on the Torah Portions delivered to your inbox free every week. Insightful commentary from Genesis to Deuteronomy!SIGN UP TODAY
Core community content: Sign in to read, or sign up for a free Core community account »