The weekly Torah readings (Parashat Ha'Shavua) including summaries and additional details.
Regular Shabbat Readings
* Note: On Jewish holidays, special readings often interrupt the regular cycle.
- Vayechi (ויחי | He lived)
- Torah: Genesis 47:28-50:26
- Haftarah: 1 Kings 2:1-12
- Gospel: Luke 4:31-5:11
The last reading from the book of Genesis is named Vayechi (ויחי), which means "and he lived." The title comes from the first verse of the reading, which says, "Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years" (Genesis 47:28). In this Torah portion, Jacob prepares for his death by securing a double portion of inheritance for Joseph and then blessing each of his sons with prophetic blessings. The book of Genesis ends with the death of Jacob, followed shortly by the death of Joseph and a promise of redemption from Egypt.
- Genesis 47:27 | The Last Days of Jacob
- Genesis 48:1 | Jacob Blesses Joseph's Sons
- Genesis 49:1 | Jacob's Last Words to His Sons
- Genesis 49:29 | Jacob's Death and Burial
- Genesis 50:15 | Joseph Forgives His Brothers
- Genesis 50:22 | Joseph's Last Days and Death
- 1Ki 2:1 | David's Instruction to Solomon
- 1Ki 2:10 | Death of David
Get the Email Newsletter
Get inspirational teachings on the Torah Portions delivered to your inbox free every week. Insightful commentary from Genesis to Deuteronomy!SIGN UP TODAY
Core community content: Sign in to read, or sign up for a free Core community account »