The weekly Torah readings (Parashat Ha'Shavua) including summaries and additional details.
Regular Shabbat Readings
* Note: On Jewish holidays, special readings often interrupt the regular cycle.
- Acharei Mot (אחרי מות | After the death)
- Torah: Leviticus 16:1-18:30
- Haftarah: Ezekiel 22:1-19
- Gospel: John 7:1-52
The twenty-ninth reading from the Torah and sixth reading from Leviticus is named Acharei Mot (אחרי מות), two words that mean "after the death." The title comes from the first words of the first verse of the reading, which say, "Now the LORD spoke to Moses after the death of the two sons of Aaron" (Leviticus 16:1). Leviticus 16 describes the Tabernacle ceremony for the holy festival of the Day of Atonement. Leviticus 17 establishes general rules for sacrifice and sanctuary. Leviticus 18 lays down specific laws about permitted and forbidden sexual relationships.
- Leviticus 16:1 | The Day of Atonement
- Leviticus 17:1 | The Slaughtering of Animals
- Leviticus 17:10 | Eating Blood Prohibited
- Leviticus 18:1 | Sexual Relations
- Eze 22:1 | The Bloody City
Get the Email Newsletter
Get inspirational teachings on the Torah Portions delivered to your inbox free every week. Insightful commentary from Genesis to Deuteronomy!SIGN UP TODAY
Core community content: Sign in to read, or sign up for a free Core community account »