The weekly Torah readings (Parashat Ha'Shavua) including summaries and additional details.
Regular Shabbat Readings
* Note: On Jewish holidays, special readings often interrupt the regular cycle.
- Tazria (תזריע | She will conceive)
- Torah: Leviticus 12:1-13:59
- Haftarah: 2 Kings 4:42-5:19
- Gospel: Mark 9:14-50
The name of the twenty-seventh reading from the Torah is Tazria (תזריע), which means "she conceived." The name is derived from the words of Leviticus 12:2, where the LORD says to Moses, "When a woman [conceives] and bears a male child." Leviticus 12 discusses the laws of purification after childbirth. Leviticus 13 introduces the laws for diagnosing and quarantining lepers. Except in biblical calendar leap years, Tazria is read together with the subsequent Torah portion, Metzora, on the same Sabbath.
- Leviticus 12:1 | Purification of Women after Childbirth
- Leviticus 13:1 | Leprosy, Varieties and Symptoms
- 2Ki 4:42 | Elisha Feeds One Hundred Men
- 2Ki 5:1 | The Healing of Naaman
Get the Email Newsletter
Get inspirational teachings on the Torah Portions delivered to your inbox free every week. Insightful commentary from Genesis to Deuteronomy!SIGN UP TODAY
Core community content: Sign in to read, or sign up for a free Core community account »