The weekly Torah readings (Parashat Ha'Shavua) including summaries and additional details.
Regular Shabbat Readings
* Note: On Jewish holidays, special readings often interrupt the regular cycle.
- Korach (קורח | Korah)
- Torah: Numbers 16:1-18:32
- Haftarah: 1 Samuel 11:14-12:22
- Gospel: Luke 18:35-19:28
Korah (korach, קורח) was the name of a prominent Levite. It is also the name of the thirty-eighth reading from the Torah. It comes from the first verse of this week's reading, which says, "Now Korah the son of Izhar... took action" (Numbers 16:1). This week's Torah reading tells the story of how Korah led an unsuccessful rebellion against Moses and Aaron. After thwarting the insurrection, God confirms Aaron in the priesthood and provides additional legislation regarding priestly and Levitical privileges and responsibilities.
- Numbers 16:1 | Revolt of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram
- Numbers 17:1 | The Budding of Aaron's Rod
- Numbers 18:1 | Responsibility of Priests and Levites
- Numbers 18:8 | The Priests' Portion
- 1Sa 11:1 | Saul Defeats the Ammonites
- 1Sa 12:1 | Samuel's Farewell Address
Get the Email Newsletter
Get inspirational teachings on the Torah Portions delivered to your inbox free every week. Insightful commentary from Genesis to Deuteronomy!SIGN UP TODAY
Core community content: Sign in to read, or sign up for a free Core community account »