The weekly Torah readings (Parashat Ha'Shavua) including summaries and additional details.
Regular Shabbat Readings
* Note: On Jewish holidays, special readings often interrupt the regular cycle.
- Nasso (נשא | Take up)
- Torah: Numbers 4:21-7:89
- Haftarah: Judges 13:2-5
- Gospel: John 11:1-54
The second reading from the book of Numbers and the thirty-fifth reading from the Torah is called Nasso (נשא), a word that literally means "lift up." It comes from the first word of the second verse in Hebrew, which could literally be translated to say, "Lift up the heads of the sons of Gershon," an idiomatic way of saying, "Make an accounting of the sons of Gershon." This Torah portion finishes up the census of the Levites that was under way at the end of the last Torah portion, before going on to discuss the purification of the camp, the ritual for a woman suspected of adultery, the laws of the Nazirite vow, the priestly benediction and the gifts the heads of the twelve tribes brought for the dedication of the altar.
- Numbers 4:21 | The Gershonites and Merarites
- Numbers 4:34 | Census of the Levites
- Numbers 5:1 | Unclean Persons
- Numbers 5:5 | Confession and Restitution
- Numbers 5:11 | Concerning an Unfaithful Wife
- Numbers 6:1 | The Nazirites
- Numbers 6:22 | The Priestly Benediction
- Numbers 7:1 | Offerings of the Leaders
- Jdg 13:1 | The Birth of Samson
Get the Email Newsletter
Get inspirational teachings on the Torah Portions delivered to your inbox free every week. Insightful commentary from Genesis to Deuteronomy!SIGN UP TODAY
Core community content: Sign in to read, or sign up for a free Core community account »